Monday, August 22, 2011

Insomnia, Pain and all the other Monsters Living Under Our Bed

So I guess this is a good night to start this blog....The man I love is a war wounded veteran. Tonight he is in pain.....again. Tonight I am awake....again. It seems like a neverending cycle. Not a nice smooth pretty circle...but one laced with barbed wire and the kind of potholes that are known to swallow SUVs. Forgive me if I ramble or go completely off subject. My brain likes to take temporary breaks so it doesn't overheat and catch the furniture on fire.


 So we both have insomnia....he takes meds....I take....nothing. Tonight the pain for him is bad enough to keep him awake through his sleepy meds. Not good. Now good ole genetics play a large role in our personalities....he is Italian/German....I am Irish/German. Stubborness runs rampant in our household. I worked in the medical field for a few years. So I know first hand that one of the big things in caring for a patient is documentation. If its not reported and documented.....it didn't happen. So when I ask him if he wants to go to the hospital and he says no, how can I help but have the urge to give him a good clunk in the back of the head. I ask him several times to no avail.


 Now we are both smokers....we were trying to quit....did good for a while. When he is in pain he smokes.....alot. As any smoker knows....when someone lights up...you for some reason feel the need to do the same. So the more he smokes the more I smoke. Not good. A secondary problem being we live in second floor apartment. As of right now we do NOT have a stair lift(coming soon). He has temporary paralysis from nerve impingement in his left leg. This makes the constant trip up and down the stairs fun! On top of that his awesome pain of the night is for the most part in his thoracic region of his spine and has this lovely habit of radiating thru his chest. So up and down the stairs we go polluting our lungs and paralyzing our cilia. 


He has had a rough few weeks. The pain just does not seem to be ebbing by much. We have had a busy few weeks.....so that has aggravated all of it. Appointments, family gatherings, birthdays, more appointments, church functions....yet another neverending cycle. And soon school will be starting. I love my kids but man I can not wait for school to start! Thankfully they love school.....so we all share the same mindset! Taking 3 girls under the age of 11 to a hospital/medical center.....not easy. I would have to say its the hardest with my 6 yr old. I always hear..."I'm bored". Doesn't matter if we brought the DS, coloring books, toys, or she can play games on my phone....its always the same thing. When its all of the kids....its like a 3 ring circus or corralling stray cattle! This one is walking to far ahead. That one is off in lala land 100 ft behind us. The other one is trying to get between me and my arms while I'm pushing the wheelchair. Someone get me a cattle prod, a lasso, and a branding iron! So I say bring on the school year!  He can do his naps....and I might get caught up on laundry....someday.







No comments:

Post a Comment